Monday, September 13, 2010

Leprechauns and Lizards...

Okay, okay... This post has absolutely nothing to do with Leprechauns or Lizards. I just thought it would make a snazzy title and draw the attention of some wayfaring soul. A little melodrama to add a bit of spice to the blog.

Today I finally got back on track with my exercise and diet. Last night I went to bed at 8:30, just as I promised myself. I knew if I didn't go to sleep by 8:30 then there would be no way I could get up at 4:30 in the morning to exercise. My alarm clock always goes off at 4:30 but whether or not I actually pull myself (and I do mean pull!) out of bed at that time is another story entirely. Many times, I will slap the clock for another 30 minutes to an hour. It just kills me if I don't go to bed around 8:30 and makes my goal of 4:30 an almost impossibility.

Let me tell you too, I was tempted to stay up late like I always do. I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination. In my perfect world I wouldn't have to get up prior to 8:30 in the morning and get to stay up until around midnight. That is the natural rhythm in my body. Alas, I have a morning job so... Here I am.

I was doing pretty good on my weight and eating for quite a while. I have several food allergies that had me rearranging what I eat. No more gluten products. No soy. No nuts. This cut out a large portion of fatty foods as that is what they are filled with. At Christmas time, we got the Wii Fit Plus as a family gift. It rocks. I love exercising to it. I would get off track at times but in terms of me personally and my history, I was doing pretty good.

Then it happened. The break up with my boyfriend. Even though we parted amicably, still on friendship terms (sort of... we don't talk really anymore) there was still a deep down hurt in me. I won't go into the details but it was all based upon my appearance. I quit counting my calories, would cheat and eat foods that made me sick, and even got to where I only exercised maybe four times a month. I put back on about ten pounds and my clothes started to get tight again.

I finally had enough this weekend. Instead of meeting my best friend Tawnya at McDonalds Sunday night (which I would have LOVED to do) I got in the shower and went to bed. I won't say that my night was a tranquil one. I was up innumerable times but you know what? When that alarm went off this morning, I got up and went upstairs to exercise. Today, I stayed away from any and all soda pop and watched what I ate.

It is a battle and one that I've fought all my life. Yet, with the Lord's help I will defeat this monster called gluttony.

No comments:

Post a Comment