Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sherlock Holmes... A New Generation

Yesterday I was at the store and saw the game Clue.  We used to have the game but a while back, we got rid of it along with a number of other old games that were cluttering up our upstairs.  Reno was still too young to enjoy it at the time and my mom & I did not play it as you have to have 3 players to do so.  So while I was patrolling Alco looking for a birthday present for one of my best friend's children, I thought... wouldn't that be fun?

Reno has recently been getting more and more interested in mysteries, especially those of Sherlock Holmes.  He has such an inquisitive mind that I knew if I could get him hooked into that sort of thing that he would absolutely love it.  I had no idea what I might have started!  We've watched various detective movies in the past but it was not until we watched the new Sherlock Holmes movie starring Robert Downy Jr. & Jude Law that his interest was definitely caught!  It was a fantastic movie.  Reno was intrigued previously with who Sherlock Holmes was and why various sports announcers had called him Sherlock Holmes.  With a last name like Holmes, it's almost inevitable! ha.  Any ways, I digress.  We watched this movie and it lit something up in him.  He absolutely loved it!  Well recently we watched another movie called Young Sherlock Holmes, which he also enjoyed.  It was also a pretty good movie.  The whole crime fighting and solving cases things is intriguing to him.  He had recently expressed interest in the game of Clue and as I stood in the store looking at it, I thought, why not? All the boardgames were on sale and I figured I wouldn't be able to get it any cheaper.  So I picked it up and later that night we played three rounds.

I might have created a monster.  Reno, on his score key, changed his name from Reno to Sherlock.  He also displayed some brilliance as we played.  I do not know how he knew but I would show mom a card, well out of sight from the lad, and he would KNOW instantly what card I had shown.  The same was true when mom showed me her card!  My mom solved two cases but Reno beat her to the pool both those times and got the credit.  It was amazing.  I do have to admit, the way his mind was working last night, he has some talent in the field.  I have to wonder if one day he might be a criminal investigator of some nature.

Or perhaps he'll just enjoy reading mysteries like Sherlock Holmes, playing Clue, and just enjoying the adventure of reasoning out "who did it".  In either case, it was fun playing last night.  We all had a great time and really enjoy the new version of Clue.  It is always such a blessing to spend time with family!

No comments:

Post a Comment